Adapt, Improvise, Overcome

Posted by Diehard62 
October 10, 2015 10:06PM
#   Quote

This is in response to a request. I am a double above the knee amputee since 2003. I wad hurt while working for the railroad. It has been a major change in my life to say the least. I had been a letter carrier for the Postal Service for 17 years before I went to work at the railroad. The topic title kind of says it all. I survived because of my faith, prayer and the Good Lord has more for me to do here on this earth. I have learned that as traumatic as was my injury I am still alive and can still do many things. I did try for 2 years to walk again with prosthetics, but it was a lot of stress both physically and mentally. I returned to work tot the railroad in 2005 and am still working there. I started prepping a couple years ago and joined a group of like minded guys that believe in defending our rights and the Constitution. Recently though I have had to have rotatory cufff surgery and my gallbladder removed so my participation in the group has been on hold till I am 100%. I drive, I like to shoot and cook. Another thing that has helped me survive is a positive attitude. Three items I like to convey to others is 1. This is not for eternity, I will walk again. 2. I still have family and friends. 3. There are billions of people worse off than I am. I do have have some blue days, but fewer as at first. My mom died on my 25th birthday, I went through hurricane Andrew, and a divorce. The Lord has helped me through those times and my accident. I am also involved in a prison ministry called Kairos. We go in and talk with some residents and help them to make better choices and let them know that Jesus still loves them. So you see a traumatic event in your life is not the end. You need to keep living just a little differently. I hope this will help some of you out there and feel free to ask any questions. God bless.

“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”
October 10, 2015 10:33PM
#   Quote

You gonna try some of the new prosthetics?

I don't plan on dyin'.

I mean, yes, it is definitely a possibility, but I'd rather shoot 'n scoot to get some more.

My plan is to be the biggest pain in the ass possible.

Like a sandpaper dildo.
October 10, 2015 11:23PM
#   Quote

Thank you for sharing that Diehard62, you and others here that have gone through or are just going through the pain, injury and loss of something traumatic will be better prepared to assist our brothers who have lived a "charmed life" in the health department, many but not all who look at people such as yourself and others here with the attitude of " And what do you think you can do ?" just because we are not Lean Mean Fighting Machines anymore.

The real battle begins and ends in the mind, all the latest guns and a bazzilion rounds won't help you there, it's where you truly discover just what you are made of, how tough you really are and finding the everlasting joy of the love our Father has for us, and the difference we can make in the lives of others .

Come on gents, this is a true "survival story" , what are some of yours ?

Pastor Mike is like the kookey uncle at all the family functions, he is full of experience, knowledge and doesn't speak up often. But when he does you better listen, because its gonna be good.

S.Snow, Sept.28 2015
..........................................................................................................
I've come across a few of his posts. Good stuff. Witty fucker!

Free2Conserve Jan 06 2016
October 11, 2015 12:02AM
#   Quote

Come on gents, this is a true "survival story" , what are some of yours ?

I'm 54 years young now. In late 2011 I had 2 back surgeries, the second (L-4) to fix damage caused by the first (L-5 S-1).
Yeah.
Each surgery had one disk removed, a plastic one inserted, and several titanium screws/pins installed. The second surgery also had a nerve re-alignment involved, which led me to where I am today.

Both surgeries failed, I walk like a drunk man, fall down, a lot - which is apparently great entertainment to the Walmart retards smiling smiley

The VA (which didn't do either surgery) keeps me pretty well supplied with Oxycodone and Fentanyl due to the nerve damage live with.

That's good.

I couldn't physically do my job though. I worked as a Water Treatment Supervisor for the State of Maryland, a really awesome job, no kidding. Half my day at my desk, the rest on the road. I loved it, great pay, benefits, relative freedom.

In August 2013 my job duties changed slightly. I couldn't do what was required of me - specifically climbing 30 feet or so, straight up. Just couldn't do it. As well as needing my wife to help me stand up from the bed each morning I called it quits and "retired".

My wife and I make do on my VA disability and her SS disability. IT's tough, but we manage.

As was stated above there are billions of people worse off than I am, and I can move on my own, albeit, like a drunken soldier, which I just happen to have quite a bit of experience. smiling smiley

I still shoot when I can, still have my mind, and tribe who cares about my wife and I.

I am very lucky and grateful.

Thats my story.

13 Bravo - drove a truck. 54 Bravo - drove a desk. 11 Bravo - over paid baby sitter.
October 11, 2015 06:51AM
#   Quote

badday

No. I had settled with the railroad and really can't afford it. I have learned to get along in my chair.

“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”
October 11, 2015 07:02AM
#   Quote

Turret Buster YOU are one of the ones out there that I look up to. I have it easy. I am in no pain, but do take other meds for BP etc. I am happy you have someone like I do. My wife is such a pillar for me. I do not think I would be such an up guy without her. Our prayers for both of you to have a good life together and may the Lord give you relief of your pain. Give me a shout if you ever want to talk or vent. I will gladly listen and help if I can. God bless and watch over both of you and all that are out there with troubles in their lives. Amen.

October 11, 2015 11:56PM
#   Quote

Diehard, a very gracious and sincere thank you. I can't imagine what it's like for you, as you may not know what my situation is like for me. We do the best we can, and never let "it" show. Well, not in public anyway smiling smiley
Good wish's and thoughts your way, bro'.

13 Bravo - drove a truck. 54 Bravo - drove a desk. 11 Bravo - over paid baby sitter.
October 12, 2015 06:17PM
#   Quote

Yes you are right neither of us can exactly know what each other is going through except having to accept what has happened and do our best. When I had my accident someone who also lost their legs came and talked to me. That helped a lot. I go and talk to others that have traumatic injuries while working at the railroad to help them see that it is not the end of life, just a bump in the road. You sound like you are doing ok, but like I said if you feel the need to talk no matter what give me a shout especially if it is about shooting or cooking. I love to do both. Take care thanks for the reply. God bless.

October 21, 2015 12:42AM
#   Quote

Damn. I can only imagine how ruff that has to be. Things like this are what makes me grateful for what I have and that I have woke to live another day. Do you mind me asking what exactly happened to cause the injury? I've heard a lot of accident and fatality stories while I have seen some first hand myself, never none involving trains. My wife has a friend that was hit by a train (drunken screw up) that mangled him all up. By looking g at him it makes a person wonder how the hell he is even alive.

][][][%
October 21, 2015 04:58AM
#   Quote

Diehard62
badday

No. I had settled with the railroad and really can't afford it. I have learned to get along in my chair.

If your interested, i can give you websites for open source prosthetics. Where you could build your own for a fraction of the cost of the professional ones. Especially if you have a 3d printer or know someone who does. A moderate 3d printer will cost around 400-500 and you can get filament for anywhere from 20-90 a spool depending on what the printer can run, and how strong you want the filament. My laptop is out of commission so my printers are also out right now, or i would offer to print some for cost of materials.
October 21, 2015 04:33PM
#   Quote

Primal
Damn. I can only imagine how ruff that has to be. Things like this are what makes me grateful for what I have and that I have woke to live another day. Do you mind me asking what exactly happened to cause the injury? I've heard a lot of accident and fatality stories while I have seen some first hand myself, never none involving trains. My wife has a friend that was hit by a train (drunken screw up) that mangled him all up. By looking g at him it makes a person wonder how the hell he is even alive.

I was on the end of a train that I was guiding back. It stopped for some reason I fell off. It started moving again and the rest was told to me since all I remember was some pressure on my right leg and some tumbling. I also remember the last thing I said was "Oh God help me. What happened was I tried to get up was hit in back of my head by the coupler. The man that saw me fall was several tracks away, but did his best to get to me. By the time he got there I had lost my right leg and was being dragged under the car. He could only think to pull me out and that was when my left leg was severed. With both of us on the radio for help some others came and did tournequets on my limbs. It happened on a Monday and I woke up on Thursday. As I have said just a bump in the road of life. I am still here and know the Good Lord has more work for me to do here.

October 24, 2015 11:27PM
#   Quote

It's frightening to know just how quickly your life can be turned upside down. Car accident, ied, train, stroke....from out of no where. Helps to be prepared and good with God, I imagine.
October 24, 2015 11:37PM
#   Quote

You guys rock!
October 25, 2015 05:52PM
#   Quote

I not only rock I roll.......LMAO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

We are not affiliated with, nor do our discussions necessarily imply endorsement by The Sipsy Street Irregulars.
Please Login or Register!