How do you get your spouse on board?

Posted by d1g1taldude 
November 01, 2015 02:56PM
#   Quote

My wife flatly refuses to read or even talk about "prepping" or anything remotely like it. I'm reading articles, books and seeing what's happening in the world and in the United States and starting to see patterns that make me nervous. Like the Muslim "invasion" in Europe. (don't know else you can all it) Our borders are like non-existent. So who REALLY knows who is here. Attacks on the power stations around the country. That scares me a lot. Nothing is ever said or done about it and on and on.

So I'm trying to put together a plan that, hopefully will keep us alive for a few months after the SHTF. I have a neighbor who has been doing this for a while now and he's got enough to last him and his family for at least 6 months or so. I want to get to that point myself but my wife just will not hear of it.

I'm afraid if we did have ample supplies that she would open her mouth and tell everyone or even just give it away to help out people who have their heads up there A$$ and have nothing.

How can approach this and get her on board? What's really a pain, is she's a planner. I'm not. hahahha go figure.

Thanks in advance for all advice, comments and smart a$$ remarks. cool smiley
November 01, 2015 03:06PM
#   Quote

use the rule of thumb and tell her to know her role. when she leaves get a prettier one that respects your" a thor a taw."
November 01, 2015 03:14PM
#   Quote

disciple1
use the rule of thumb and tell her to know her role. when she leaves get a prettier one that respects your" a thor a taw."

thumbs up

Mine was simple. I started with uncovered facts on 9/11 and made her look at the evidence even though she lost an uncle there. Curiosity took hold and she started seeing through the bullshit immediately. Now we are both on the same page and fill each other in when one of us miss' something.

][][][%
November 01, 2015 03:24PM
#   Quote

My wife sorta gets it. She's old school southern so she sometimes does things because I think their important. I want her to do all these things for herself to tho. You have to look at it from her perspective, alot of discussions we have can be pretty scary to the average person. No woman ( or most men for that matter) want to think about and plan for times where they may have to leave the home they love, live out of a ruck sack and do violent things to survive.
Ask her if these things scare her, if she says yes then work through the issues. If she says no, she just thinks that the whole prepping thing is stupid then you have some choices to make. You may have to prep for just yourself and hope you never need those skills.

Counting all the assholes in the room, I'm definitely not alone.
Volbeat
November 01, 2015 03:31PM
#   Quote

Don't come out and say you're plannin' on TEOTWAWKI.

You're plannin' for emergencies: like losin' your job, power outage, or whatever.

My wife's cheap and found that she could get more for less when buyin' in bulk.

I don't plan on dyin'.

I mean, yes, it is definitely a possibility, but I'd rather shoot 'n scoot to get some more.

My plan is to be the biggest pain in the ass possible.

Like a sandpaper dildo.
November 01, 2015 03:54PM
#   Quote

First you have to understand female Psychology.

One is they subconsciously believe that if they think
about something negative or scarry that it'll attract it
into their life. Another is they've been Psychologically
conditioned to believe Government is their big
Surrogate Dady/Husband that will do everything
it can to protect them. And another is they think
like animals in that they only think in terms of
present time and are not interested in possible
future events. Women are typically not self
starters and don't want to risk looking like
she made a mistake or failed at something
because it'll cramp her social standing.
To spread the risk/responsibility, ad plausible deniability, and
for emotional support, women prefer to work in
groups of other women.

And you combined all that with the fact they see
money spent elsewhere as taking money from
being spent on themselves for frivolous and
superfluous narcissistic uses/impulses, and only
respond to things that improve her social
standing with others.

Of course just I'm generalizing as a rule of thumb. But
you'll have to figure ways to mitigate all or most of
those issues before she'll see its in her best interest!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2015 03:56PM by ENblock.
November 01, 2015 04:39PM
#   Quote

Start talking to her about Hurricane Katrina and the recent riots we just had. Tell her you want to prepare for that. Remind her that if a natural desaster strikes, she will be hungry with dirty hair and she will stink because you didn't prepare. If that don't work, it's time to possibly move on. A sheeple will always try to inslave you with her strange government taught brainwashed agenda.

Instead of trying to fix the damage that Obama caused, we should be trying to fix the damage that allowed Obama to be president.
November 01, 2015 05:45PM
#   Quote

I agree the best way is to sell it as a disaster prep. I am lucky, my wife agrees on all we have done. Buying food, more weapons, ammo, precious metals, solar generator water containers and having some cash on hand. She can see how world events are going. See if you can get her to take a Cert class. Part of the class addresses being prepared for disasters.

“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”
November 01, 2015 05:45PM
#   Quote

i bought her combat assault pumps

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig TWO graves
November 01, 2015 06:12PM
#   Quote

For my wife,

I sold her on disaster prepping in case of severe weather, eathrthquake, extended power outage.

This means a minimum of 2 weeks of food, water, fuel, etc. n Then we just by a little extra every week. as for guns--She just says I have a problem. I don't think that she'll say that if the government services collapse and the non-preppers start rioting.

Ungern

Direct decendent of Roger Sherman and George Mason- true patriots.
November 01, 2015 07:58PM
#   Quote

Mine was pretty easy being in the Deep South. Plenty of hurricanes to be prepared for, so it wasn't that difficult to integrate it in.

I would try to do as much as I could on the DL, nothing sneaky, but make sure you can justify it as being for the better good for the family. If nothing happens, then you have supplies to rely on if needed, if something does happen then you are the one with wisdom for looking ahead for the fam.

You can have my weapon when I am dead, careful though, the barrel's gonna be hot.
Airborne!! [m.youtube.com]
[m.youtube.com]
November 01, 2015 08:07PM
#   Quote

Mine was already in that mindset when I met her, she wants to prep, likes to prep, she just doesn't want to spend what little money we have on them willy nilly. Hence we are always looking for bargains , slightly damaged (that can easily be fixed) , bulk buys, re-sale stores like GOODWILL / SALVATION ARMY etc. , trading goods or services to friends and neighbors who have extras or are upgrading or just putting the word out that you are interested in this that or the other.

We just scored another doe ( 2yr old la mancha/nubian-dwarf) from some good friends because they are currently downsizing for the winter, so when we breed her next spring we will give her one of the twin kids that she should be having, so that they can then have their children help raise it as a bottle baby.
I also picked up today about 400' of used barb wire that had been taken down and rolled up, because the price of scrap metal is so low that they just wanted it gone , this will be used at the 5'-6' levels of the animal pen above the 4' woven sheep/goat field wire on two of the outside edges of it.

As for also appealing to the feminine point of view on prepping when it comes to P.M.'s , I told my wife that so long as whatever bits of jewelry she finds at a yard sale that are for a few bucks and are made of .925 sterling silver or 14kt gold and up, I will happily buy for her.
I then clean it up or repair it if needed and she has a new "investment". Surprisingly whenever that happens she finds all sorts of other little things like tools, ammo, buckets of nails, mil surplus, etc. that I should get because she now "FEELS GUILTY ".......grinning smiley........ psychological warfare at it's finest.

Pastor Mike is like the kookey uncle at all the family functions, he is full of experience, knowledge and doesn't speak up often. But when he does you better listen, because its gonna be good.

S.Snow, Sept.28 2015
..........................................................................................................
I've come across a few of his posts. Good stuff. Witty fucker!

Free2Conserve Jan 06 2016
November 01, 2015 09:25PM
#   Quote

I do most of the prep type stuff and the wife doesn't seem to really notice much. She thinks I am a tight ass with money and I just like deals. She does most of the perishables and I do long term. Being just above poverty level having extra just means when we run out of perishables we use some preps which need rotated. Having gone through a period of 8 months of not working and then when I started back working she didn't work for 6months and has changed jobs 3 times this year, preps aren't just TEOTWAWKI it is just good sense to always have food on hand. Guns and ammo are a little different as this is a hobby since before we got together. A few range trips and she understands how fast ammo goes.
"We just shot all that ammo that fast!?"
"Yep, now you know why we have so much."

Also as a hunter, the mil surp stuff doesn't seem odd, just another quirk. The GHB in the vehicles made her question my sanity until I explained its just incase anything tries to prevent us from getting to the children. If you have children its the best scapegoat for prepping. Its all to keep them safe and alive.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
November 01, 2015 10:34PM
#   Quote

My wife is not fully behind what I do but she has a get home bag in her car that I told her was an emergency bag, in case of accident in winter and stuck, something needed in the state of Wisconsin. Although it has everything in there for such an incident it's not really all that. My wife is also what I would call an ambulance chased. This played to my advantage, I bought her a baofeng and set it up as a scanner for her. She now carries that with her at all times and in the emergency bag there are instructions on which channel to set the radio to for comma purpose. I have found that although she doesn't agree with the reasons that I do things she has been very receptive to me renaming the things I do to fit in with what she does associate with. I have been able to get her to start listening to me on some things and she has been willing to learn archery. Just keep pounding things home and eventually she will either join you, or just get so sick of hearing about it that she will just say whatever, do what you want. For bigger things that you absolutely have to have and are not willing to negotiate on just get it. Sometimes it really is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Screw all the patriotic quotations, I'm an American plain and simple. Don't like what we got going on, get the hell out, or be prepared to face the music - and I don't listen to your style of music.
November 02, 2015 05:03AM
#   Quote

swamprock1968
i bought her combat assault pumps

Got a link for them? That might help with my wife
November 02, 2015 05:25AM
#   Quote

you guys have skills smileys with beer my first stab at it I came off too strong....too fast...and too hyper because I was scared I was too late ! over time and after the dust settled things got better..now we have 5 gardens and last month she asked me to come to the farm store and look at a chicken coup she wanted....so yea now we have 7 chickens

oh I have been asked to back off the can goods and give it to the food drive...she NOW thinks long term food is the way to go ! as for big ticket items....someone above said sometimes its better to ask forgivness then permishion....if I saw it...if I think I need it...I just get it and put it away! works good for awaile till the grandson runs out yelling pop pop.!! when did we get that gun????

Jdog " NOT ONE MORE INCH "
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 05:39AM by jdog.
November 02, 2015 06:11PM
#   Quote

Or until she looks under the bed.grinning smiley

I don't plan on dyin'.

I mean, yes, it is definitely a possibility, but I'd rather shoot 'n scoot to get some more.

Like a sandpaper dildo.
November 02, 2015 07:05PM
#   Quote

That is why you NEVER NEVER NEVER , let your spouse know exactly what you have !

If she sees something that you know is new but she doesn't , the proper response is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ......... "What, that old thing ? I've had that for years, just don't take it out that often is all." grinning smiley

P.S.

At least that is what I had to do with the "EX", she was only into prepping when she was scared, if not, then it was "Can we sell any of this junk ?" I caught on soon enough when I found out she was doing drugs with a neighbor that was also dealing them, and she was also sleeping around. I went across the street and delt with him personally and then filed for divorce from her. I got full custody of the kids by the way

The one I have now is like, "Well so long as the bills are paid on time and it doesn't affect anything else, then get what YOU feel WE need." ................ Oh how I love her !!!

Pastor Mike is like the kookey uncle at all the family functions, he is full of experience, knowledge and doesn't speak up often. But when he does you better listen, because its gonna be good.

S.Snow, Sept.28 2015
..........................................................................................................
I've come across a few of his posts. Good stuff. Witty fucker!

Free2Conserve Jan 06 2016
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 07:18PM by Pastor Mike.
November 02, 2015 07:26PM
#   Quote

Pastor Mike
The one I have now is like, "Well so long as the bills are paid on time and it doesn't affect anything else, then get what YOU feel WE need." ................ Oh how I love her !!!

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!smileys with beer

I don't plan on dyin'.

Like a sandpaper dildo.
November 02, 2015 09:05PM
#   Quote

i haven't had much luck getting my wife on board. i took over one of our empty bedrooms and started stocking up on a variety of foods and supplies. she thinks i am wasting my time pretty much. she is more interested in face book. she hates guns and wont even touch one. doesn't understand why people "need" guns. she has her head in the sand and doesn't even want to believe our government would do anything but look out for us.
i am in for a long hard road i guess. even co workers and family won't prepare. they joke that they don't need to because they know where i live. they are in for a rude awakening when they show up at my door. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

We are not affiliated with, nor do our discussions necessarily imply endorsement by The Sipsy Street Irregulars.
Please Login or Register!