Playing Creator. Does this frighten anyone....yet

Posted by IM1RU2 
February 13, 2017 08:57AM
#   Quote

[www.cnbc.com]
Elon Musk: Humans must merge with machines or become irrelevant in AI age

I'v always believed that what we are being fed as future technologically, isn't.

Edit: for some reason can't post direct link back to story, but I believe it's a worthwhile read. Screw the link

Billionaire Elon Musk is known for his futuristic ideas and his latest suggestion might just save us from being irrelevant as artificial intelligence (AI) grows more prominent.

The Tesla and SpaceX CEO said on Monday that humans need to merge with machines to become a sort of cyborg.

"Over time I think we will probably see a closer merger of biological intelligence and digital intelligence," Musk told an audience at the World Government Summit in Dubai, where he also launched Tesla in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

"It's mostly about the bandwidth, the speed of the connection between your brain and the digital version of yourself, particularly output."

Elon Musk
Rashid Umar Abbasi | Reuters
Elon Musk
Musk explained what he meant by saying that computers can communicate at "a trillion bits per second", while humans, whose main communication method is typing with their fingers via a mobile device, can do about 10 bits per second.

In an age when AI threatens to become widespread, humans would be useless, so there's a need to merge with machines, according to Musk.

"Some high bandwidth interface to the brain will be something that helps achieve a symbiosis between human and machine intelligence and maybe solves the control problem and the usefulness problem," Musk explained.

The technologists proposal would see a new layer of a brain able to access information quickly and tap into artificial intelligence. It's not the first time Musk has spoken about the need for humans to evolve, but it's a constant theme of his talks on how society can deal with the disruptive threat of AI.

'Very quick' disruption

During his talk, Musk touched upon his fear of "deep AI" which goes beyond driverless cars to what he called "artificial general intelligence". This he described as AI that is "smarter than the smartest human on earth" and called it a "dangerous situation".

While this might be some way off, the Tesla boss said the more immediate threat is how AI, particularly autonomous cars, which his own firm is developing, will displace jobs. He said the disruption to people whose job it is to drive will take place over the next 20 years, after which 12 to 15 percent of the global workforce will be unemployed.

"The most near term impact from a technology standpoint is autonomous cars … That is going to happen much faster than people realize and it's going to be a great convenience," Musk said.

"But there are many people whose jobs are to drive. In fact I think it might be the single largest employer of people ... Driving in various forms. So we need to figure out new roles for what do those people do, but it will be very disruptive and very quick."
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 09:07AM by IM1RU2.
February 13, 2017 09:01AM
#   Quote

Link broken

Sic Semper Tyrannis

One Hundred Heads
JWF
February 13, 2017 09:02AM
#   Quote

The link didn't work?

I'm drunk like a fish...
February 13, 2017 09:17AM
#   Quote

Screw it , I just posted the entire article (see above)
February 13, 2017 09:20AM
#   Quote

Sic Semper Tyrannis

One Hundred Heads
JWF
February 13, 2017 09:21AM
#   Quote

I'm not merging with a Machine...havnt you seen The terminator.

I'm drunk like a fish...
February 13, 2017 09:28AM
#   Quote

JWF
I'm not merging with a Machine...havnt you seen The terminator.

Sort of reminds of assimilating into the Borg Collective.
February 13, 2017 09:40AM
#   Quote

Scout-one will just remain an insignificant human. Got all the metal in me I need. And I've made it this far on very little intelligence, no sense adding a micro chip now. drinking smiley

Live for nothing, or die for something!

I am full of shit, every post I make is for entertainment purposes only and cannot be verified since it exists only in my head, at no point can I be presumed to be intelligent, or credible in any way.
February 13, 2017 09:53AM
#   Quote

Wait, aren't his cars always blowing up?

Counting all the assholes in the room, I'm definitely not alone.
Volbeat
February 13, 2017 10:06AM
#   Quote
Admin

sauced
Wait, aren't his cars always blowing up?

Blown out of proportion.
[insideevs.com]

May God have mercy on the souls of tyrants, for to them I shall give no quarter.
February 13, 2017 12:17PM
#   Quote

Good sarcasm Sauced. thumbs up

What happens when "Machines attack?" "Crattering Teeth" by Stephan King? The machines stop working or remove us b/c WE are the Parasites?!?! eye popping smileysad smileyconfused smiley

I don't mind a cochlear implant, spinal pain reducer, etc. But they ALL need local kill switches to prevent problems. Just don't let them be Remote-activated. Wouldn't want the UN to switch us all off! eye popping smileythe finger smiley

III% | 1% | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - On Desk Duty now b/c I'm too old and decrepit for Patrol.
"The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!"-Dante
"Times are tough, lighten up and learn to laugh."-unknown "Come unto me and I shall lessen your Burden, and give unto you Comfort." Matthew 11:28-30
February 13, 2017 12:35PM
#   Quote

I`m holding out for a good size natural e.m.p. reset.

" We represent the Founding Fathers intent of a nation of states, not a centralized dictatorship of one government." R.E.Lee
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

We are not affiliated with, nor do our discussions necessarily imply endorsement by The Sipsy Street Irregulars.
Please Login or Register!